Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sade: By Your Side


This is probably one of my all time favorite songs. The reason being is that this song echos my heart's cry for the kind of companion (wife) that I desire in life. But, even more, this song describes many of the qualities of my very real relationship with Jesus. "You think I'd leave your side baby? You know me better than that. You think I'd leave you down when you're down on your knees? I wouldn't do that." Jesus does promise to never ever leave: "surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age (Matthew 28:20).

Today, faithfulness is becoming more of a rarity. According to the latest statistics, the U.S. is rated 1st out of 34 counties in divorce rates (close to 50%). That's sad considering so many of us (if not all) desires a companion like the one described in this song. "Oh, when you're cold I'll be there to hold you tight to me. When you're on the outside baby and you can't get in. I will show you, you're so much better than you know. When you're lost, when you're alone and you can't get back again. I will find you darling, I'll bring you home. If you want to cry, I am here to dry your eyes and in no time you'll be fine."

Patient, faithful, loving tenderness. I don't know about you, but I want someone who will be careful with my heart. Someone who will love, accept and cherish me for who I am. Someone who sees that I am worth loving and will work at loving me, even when I am hard to love. But, desiring someone like this is only half the story. I believe we need to take our desire for someone like this and turn them inward towards ourselves and begin being this unconditional lover who patiently, faithfully, lovingly and tenderly cares for the lifelong companion that we desire for our own life.

For me, as I press deeper into my relationship with Jesus, who models perfectly the companion described in this song, I am in many ways transformed to be more like Him. Following His example has made me more like this unconditional lover, who understands that love is more than just a feeling, but that love is a choice, a commitment and that love oftentimes takes work. I love this song because it not only echos my heart's cry, but it also challenges me to love more fully than I do now.

No comments: