Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

addiction



If you asked me what addiction looks like, I would probably describe it in ways similar to this video. Addiction has an almost insatiable appetite that cares not for anything or anyone, only to satisfy oneself. People create attachments to things all day, everyday, but when these attachments go unchecked, that's when they can turn in unmanageable addictions that suck the very life out of a person and of the people around them. But, here's the Good News, there is a living God who hears the cries of those hurting (Psalm 55:17; 72:12), who is near the
brokenhearted (Psalm 34:18; 147:3) and who listens to those who call upon His Name to be rescued (Psalm 91:14-16).

Over this past year, I've started the 420 Prayer Movement that specifically prays for people struggling with drug addiction. Drug use among the next generation has been steadily on the increase. More and more middle school (junior high) children are now experimenting with drugs. That which was the exception has very much now become the norm. The 420 prayers consist of praying that: 1) That the Kingdom of God would break into their lives in power (1 Corinthians 4:20); 2) That they would leave their current lifestyle, in order to follow Jesus (Matthew 4:20); and 3) That the Holy Spirit would transform their hearts into the good soil that hears and accepts God's Word and bears abundant good fruit (Mark 4:20).

Now, I am all for support groups that help people who struggle with addiction gain greater coping skills and accountability. But, for me, I want lasting transformation for them and the abundant life that Jesus promises those who follow Him, which from my understanding comes only from God.

No comments: