Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Thursday, February 25, 2010

John Mayer: Say

This song touches a spot in my heart right now because I am struggling with the fear of expressing my heart towards others. Is it wrong for me to express love and caring to people? Sometimes I feel like it is, which just tears me up inside. I get so frustrated with myself because deep in my heart, I just want to be real with people. I want to let people see and feel my heart. Let me explain, God's love is very real and tangible to me and His love for me moves me to love others. But, my fear is that this love will be misinterpreted. If you know me, then you know that I can be pretty intense. What can I say, I am a passionate guy, who loves people who are dear to my Savior Jesus' heart, which of course means everyone. But, there are those whom I am just magnetically drawn to sometimes. It's like God is bringing us together for some special purpose.

So, this song is a helpful reminder that I need to just "say what I need to say." I need to remember that "in the end, it's better to say too much, then never say what I need to say again." We only live once and sometimes moments (divine appointments?) may only happen once, so we need to make the most of every opportunity to say what needs to be said. I think one of the greatest gifts we can give someone is sharing our hearts with them. I love authenticity. It always draws me in and I feel so connected and alive in those moments. The more I think about it, the more I've come to realize that when we die, the only thing that we will take with us are our relationships, both with God and others. When I die, my relationship with Jesus will continue on in heaven where I will be fully known and fully loved by the people there.

Step out and take a chance. Tell someone that you enjoy being around them and you want to be around them more often. Tell someone that you like their smile because it brightens your day. Tell someone that you appreciate them for who they are and not for what they do. Tell someone that you find them interesting and that you'd like to get to know them better. Tell someone who is dear to your heart that you love and care for them! "Have no fear for giving in! Have no fear for giving over!" Just open up your heart wide and let your love flow out. Share your heart with someone today. Something that I need to take to heart and do more often! Maybe you can relate?

No comments: