Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Friday, February 26, 2010

Jonathan David Helser: Intimacy

This song ministers to me in the deep places of my heart. Whenever I am doubting God's deep desire to bring healing and restoration to my broken life, this song helps to remind me that God made me to be intimate with Him. That He's not a distant angry God who stands stoically by as trials and tragedies befall me. God is love (1 John 4:16). This doesn't mean that He has a lot of love or loves a lot, but that He is the very essence of love. I find comfort in this truth because this means everything God does or doesn't do must come from the depths of love. Is He not the Author and Creator of love?

We were created out of love and for love. I believe this with all my heart. We were made for intimacy both with our Creator and with one another. My deepest heart's cry is to be fully known and fully love. For me, this is the purpose of intimacy. Real intimacy creates a space in our hearts where we are able to meet one another without shame, guilt or judgment. I believe intimacy like this a product of heaven where the Kingdom of God breaks through in greater measure into our hearts.

"Intimacy includes so much more than just the physical, it also includes emotions (heart), thoughts (mind) and the will (spirit)....Intimacy comes when we share all of ourselves with another. But, we must understand that at its core, intimacy is more than just a constant level of relating. Intimacy is the experience of sharing life together. The only way to be fully known is to share your life with someone. Sure, I can tell you everything that I may know about myself, but there is so much more to me, if you just watch me for awhile" (From another of my posts:hospitality of soul).

"These hands You made to hold Yours my Love. These feet You shaped to walk with You in our garden. These eyes You placed to gaze upon Your face. These lips You formed to kiss my beloved."

"I was made, I was made - intimacy."

"These ears You made to hear Your rhythms of love. And this voice You placed to sing You songs of Grace. And this hair You wove, You've numbered every strand. And this gaze You Love that captures You in one glance."

"I was made, I was made - intimacy."

"Intimacy, it's what I need. Intimacy is calling me."

Do you hear intimacy calling to you? Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light" (Matthew 11:28-30 NLT).

No comments: