Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Monday, February 22, 2010

Norah Jones: Nightingale

Whenever I hear this song, it makes me long to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit ever louder in my life. You see, the Holy Spirit speaks to me through thoughts, images and feelings. In many ways, He sings directly to my soul about the Father's love for me, about the words of Jesus and His Kingdom, even about the way God thinks and feels about others. So, when I hear Norah Jones singing about longing to hear the love song of the nightingale to guide and direct her, I immediately think about the Holy Spirit, who's loving voice often guides and directs me through this life.

The Bible describes the Holy Spirit as a dove who comes to rest upon Jesus after He was baptized (Matthew 3:16) and who also leads believers into all Truth (John 16:13) and into greater intimacy with God (John 14:16-19) because through the Holy Spirit believers are adopted into the family of God (Romans 8:15-16) where they experience the deepness of God's Love (Romans 5:5).

I also completely relate to the lyrics that say: "All the voices that are spinnin' around me. Trying to tell me what to say. So can I fly right behind you? And you can take me away." Maybe you can relate as well? There are so many other voices in my life that get in the way of me hearing the Voice of God. My deepest longing is to know the depths of God's Love, but oftentimes these other voices get in the way of me knowing and experiencing this Love. So, these lyrics resonate my own heart's cry to want to be close to the Spirit of God. So close that I am literally right there with Him as we soar together through this life with me listening to the Spirit's sweet song of Love filling the air and my soul.

No comments: