Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sarah Sadler: how deep the Father's love for us


I've been really thinking and meditating this past week on the Father's love for all His children. It truly is so amazing how deep His love is for us. I mean what drew me to God in the first place was His unconditional love for me. I don't mention this too often, but some of the first words I ever heard from God was that He loved me and that He would never leave me. I was floored that even as a hopeless drug addict and manipulative drug dealer, God still loved me and wanted me to be near Him. I can still remember when God's Kingdom came near to me and I became aware of my sin and shame. When this happened an interesting thing happened as well, God heightened my sense of smell. It was like I could smell the stench of sin, both on myself and others. 

The reason I bring this up is that even through the stench of my decaying sin-filled soul God still wanted me close to Him. There's a verse in the bible that is very real to me which says "But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners" (Romans 5:8 NLT). Imagine the sin of the world as a giant garbage dump and Jesus as this pure, spotless and holy Being who steps down out of Heaven into the middle of this giant stinking rotten pile of crap and refuse. When the bible talks about Jesus taking on the sins of the world, this is the picture we should have in our minds. For me, this verse says that even when my soul stunk like a garbage dump God still sent His Son to wade into the garbage dump of my life in order to save me. That's how deep the Father's love is for us. 

No comments: