Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Friday, July 8, 2011

Mobile Prayer Station: DAY 27

Today, I had a very interesting conversation with a man named Mishael, who considers himself a Hebraic Christian. At first I thought he meant he was a Messianic Jew, who is a Hebrew who has found their Messiah in Jesus, the One who Moses and those after him prophesied would come. But, in further talking with him he explained that he was not Jewish but desired to live a Christian lifestyle with a strong Judaic foundation. Ok, I can appreciate that, wanting to truly follow after the 1st century disciples of Jesus' day. 

Part of Mishael's story is that God called him out from a lucrative business which gave him both money and fame. He felt God telling him to give it all up and begin living a simple lifestyle. As he put it, "Jesus shoved this big fat camel through the eye of a needle and into His Kingdom" (Matthew 19:24) and for the last 15 years he has lived as a sojourner, owning nothing and living by faith. He said most of the time he travels by bicycle and by way of God giving him or someone he knows a dream. Honestly, he reminded me of a mixture between an Amish, a Quaker and a Mennonite all rolled up in one. And from what I gathered he had very conservative views, all the way down to what he thought women should wear (everything covered). 

Now, I'm not out here to judge anyone about their views whether I agree with them or not. Mishael had a wonderful heart for Jesus and I was blessed to have spent well over an hour talking with him. We even spent some time praying together. I prayed out loud and Mishael prayed silently to himself which was a but different, but hey to each his own. I even got to prophesy over his life a little while we prayed which he seemed to received. We talked about lots of things. He shared how he was part of a fellowship of believers who were trying to live a communal lifestyle like those described in the book of Acts: "And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need" (Acts 2:44-45 NLT). Now what Mishael and his friends are doing is not terribly new, over the last 20 years or so there has been a growing house/organic church movement which also embraces these verses and are filled with people trying to do life together more so than just on Sundays. Regardless, I commend what Mishael and his friends are doing. My only hope is that they are actively moving missionally in reaching out to the lost children of God and are not overly isolating themselves in the hopes of keeping themselves pure and untainted by the world. 


No comments: