Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Monday, July 25, 2011

Mobile Prayer Station: DAY 30

Man, was it humid out today which didn't help the slowness of the first hour (again). Honestly, I should pay closer attention to when this happens because I have a sneaking suspicion that maybe it was because God was getting my heart and head focused on Him, rather than on what happened yesterday or my future plans, even on the task at hand. In thinking back, I have been asking God to help me stay focused more often lately because I have been a bit distracted in thinking about travelling overseas at the end of August. 


Ken and Ann came out a little later in the day, after I'd spent an hour wrestling with God in letting go of my thoughts and concerns for the day and the future. It's interesting right before they came out Jessica came by and began engaging me in conversation. I shared with her my heart in praying with people and she asked for some healing prayer. She talked a lot about good energy, so I explained to her that I was a Christian who prayed to God and in Jesus Name. She said that was ok, so I prayed for both healing and for an increased awareness of God's Hand in her life and in the lives around her. If there's one thing that I love praying for people on, it's revelation because knowing God is both through knowledge and experience. 


The second hour in the stifling humidity was spent with Ken and Ann. God bless them that they came out right after work, but this meant that they weren't really dressed to be out in the heat and humidity. Regardless, I was grateful for their company and willingness to step out and be available to God. Over the next hour I shared with them the vision and heart of the Mobile Prayer Station of being more light than heat in the community and in being reliant on God to draw people to us who wanted prayer, rather than trying to sell or promote the prayer station and forcing prayer on people which I believe is a unique posture to take which people aren't really used to seeing Christians take. I believe giving people the freedom to choose to engage is important, rather than forcing them into conversations of faith and life. 


Maybe God was getting Ken and Ann's hearts focused on Him as He had done with me earlier (they did share that their day at the office was overwhelmingly busy), but the second hour was also slow. Ken, Ann and I spent some time praying for the community and for a few people walking by. They did end up praying for me which was great! And I was blessed to pray for them before we started to say our goodbyes. But, while parting ways one of the men who hangs out in the park came walking by and I asked him if he'd finally let me pray for him (I ask him everyday I see him which he kindly says no). But, today he said yes! So, he put out his cigarette and came on over and the three of us (Ken, Ann and I) prayed for a renewed mind and a change of heart for Emmanuel (at his request). This made me happy for two reasons: 1) I finally got to pray with Emmanuel and 2) Ken and Ann actually got to pray with someone before they left. Yay! 


The day ended with yet another answered prayer. There are a few elderly people who walk around the park with their just as elderly dogs. One of the ladies that I've been praying for as I see her came walking by with her dog and I said hi to her as I usually do and it seemed like she was going to keep walking, but then her dog started walking in the opposite direction which was right in front on my sign and then stopped. (The providence of God, what do you think?) So, Alice and I actually started talking. I have a confession to make, there's something about the elderly that draws me and warms my heart. I'm believing that it's all the Scripture verses that talk about caring for the widows, elderly and orphans that ignites God's compassion in my heart towards them. Talking and praying with Alice was a great ending to a long, hot and humid day. It felt good to be able to pray with her about some of her family relationships and health concerns. I was very surprised at how vulnerable and open she was with me. It was a very sweet moment. In leaving she said that this was exactly what she needed. Praise God!

No comments: