Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Monday, July 4, 2011

Mobile Prayer Station: DAY 25

Today was an interesting day. The time seemed to race by. In reflecting back, it's not that I was swamped with talking and praying with people. Maybe I was simply enjoying the quality of time I got to spend with people. I was blessed to be able to pray with a few people I've prayed with before plus a few new comers. I will share about my relational time with Michael, one of the travelling homeless kids that migrate between cities throughout the year. I see them hanging out in the park almost everyday and am always moved to pray for them. Maybe it's because we have similar stories. So, I was glad when Michael came by and asked me for some money because when I told him I didn't really feel right in giving him any, he asked if I could pray for him. 


Being on the road is nothing new for me. I've spent my own fair amount of time travelling where I've rubbed shoulders with the many transient people of the various music and drug scenes; from Grateful Dead shows to Phish and Horde tours to the underground rave scene. I've even spent time with the "Rainbow Family" and their yearly gatherings. So, needless to say, on many levels I get them. Though on the outside the world sees only rebellious kids not wanting to conform to the tenets of society which is true to some degree. But underneath all of the many layers of these complex kids is the same desire that every human being has and that's the desire to belong; to be fully known and yet still be fully loved. The sad reality is that these travelling kids have failed to find this anywhere else expect among themselves. Now to be fair, there is the Lord's timing on all of this and from my experience it takes time to unconditionally love and not judge people into the Kingdom of God. But if the Body of Christ is faithful in loving and not judging people, I fully believe that there is no one that the love of Christ cannot touch through His Body, the Church. 


I am also learning that loving people means being willing to open up my heart and life to them which also means being willing to sacrifice my time, treasures and talents on their behalf. A great book that I am reading at the moment (which I think I've mentioned before) is "When Helping Hurts: Alleviating Poverty Without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself." This book has helped  broaden my perspective and given me greater understanding on discerning which of these (time, treasure, talents) is best for the people God crosses my path with and what is needed (relief, rehabilitation, development) in order to equip and empower them for greater living. I know my time with Michael was short, which is why I am hoping and praying that God makes a way for more relational time with him and his friends. So this is my prayer: Father in Heaven, lavish Your grace and love upon these travelling kids and make me trustworthy enough to be able to love these kids with the love and compassion of Jesus. And if I am not that person, then I pray Lord that You would divinely orchestrate the path of those who are and cross them with these kids. In Jesus Name, Amen. 

No comments: