Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mobile Prayer Station: DAY 9

I've come to realize that everyday is going to be different. I say this because there really is such a diverse collection of people who live in the Wicker Park area and I see most of them. Add to this reality the fact that people are all at different places in both faith and life and well needless to say, "Everyday is an adventure!" For the most part being out on the street isn't as confrontational as you may think. Most people are more curious than anything else. Sure, there are those who are a bit more guarded and apprehensive and those who think I'm a fool for being out there, even those who are offended by my very presence on the street. I find it hardest to connect and interact with people who have been hurt or burned by the church. I am praying that as I am being obedient to the LORD in being available to Him and the community for prayer, He will bring healing to people and reignite hope in the community. 

Despite the dark and glooming day, I still got to pray with Jeff, who has 4 years sobriety under his belt. I told him I have 8 years clean time. It was very cool talking with him, he's an older gentlemen maybe in his late early 60s. He shared some of his life journey with me and I did the same. He was on his way to a doctor's appointment because he has about 60% lung capacity from 40 years of smoking. I asked if I could pray and ask God to heal his lungs which he said yes. After praying, he said that he lives right across the street and said that if I'm out tomorrow he'll come by to talk and have me pray for him again. I love it! Building bridges with people in the community one relationship at a time (sounds catchy, I must have heard that somewhere at sometime). Anyways, that's all any of us can do. I truly believe that the more that we step out in love and obedience, the more God will bless the work of our hands. 

There is a great harvest coming, but this means that we all need to do our part in tilling the soil and sowing seed. It's through intercessory prayer that we till the soil of both the community and people's hearts. And it's through being in relationship that we are given the opportunity to sow seeds of faith, hope and love. So this is my prayer: that the God of the universe who moved heaven and earth in order to be in relationship with us by allowing His Son Jesus to come and die on a cross for our sins would actively anoint and empower His children to do the work of His Kingdom. Holy Spirit we ask that You would begin simplifying our lives, making us more available to the LORD to do what He has placed on our hearts to do. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

No comments: