Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mobile Prayer Station: DAY 6

So, this is where I stood today, just outside the fencing around Wicker Park. It was a very overcast day. The forecast was for rain but not until later in the afternoon, so I setup around 1:00pm. It's interesting, right when I woke up this morning, I heard the Holy Spirit tell me that I needed to be out on the street today. So, after my morning meeting, I drove towards Wicker Park. I typically take the 'L' train but today I had access to a car so I drove. 

To be honest, I was hesitant in going, but there was this urgency that rose up inside of me and compelled me to drive to the park. Even after finding free parking less than half a block away (which was amazing) I sat in the car just waiting. I kept looking at the overcast sky and telling myself it's gonna rain, I should just go home. I did this for around 15 minutes, but after checking like two different weather sites on my iPhone and watching the sky in the distance. I grabbed the sign and headed towards the park. The thought came to my mind, even if I'm out here for only an hour, it's still worth it.

Not five minutes after I set up a guy comes up to me and asks, "So, how's this prayer thing work?" After some introductions, I told Ryle that "I'm out here offering prayer for people, can I pray for you?" He said "Yes" and started to walk away, but I stopped him and said "Can I pray for you now?" Again, he said "Yes." I could tell that he was kind of new to this whole prayer thing, but God's grace covered us and disarmed the awkwardness. So, I told him I could pray a blessing over him or for financial breakthrough and he said, "No, just a blessing would be good." So, I ended up praying for God to bless him and to give him favor and for God to reveal to Ryle His heart of goodness, love and delight towards him. When I was done, he said, "Thanks" and then headed off, coffee in hand.

Even though I was slow in getting going, having such good reception right from the start helped settle my heart and get me in the game, so to speak. I didn't do any Bible reading today, but rather just smiled and said hi to people walking by. Surprisingly, there were quite a few people out and everyone was pretty open and friendly. I think it was close to half past 2:00pm when Joshua came walking up and started asking me questions like, "So, what kind of prayer are you offering?" and "Who are you praying to?" I told him flat out that I am praying to God through Jesus Christ. His face lit up and he gave a double fist bump and said, "Alright, just making sure we're on the same page." He asked we where I attended church and said he attends Bill Winston's church Living Word Christian Center in Forest Park, IL. 

Now Joshua has a very interesting story, he feels called to be among the homeless. I didn't quite get all the details, but from what I gathered, he has spent the last 30 nights on the streets with the homeless. He feels called to be a light to them and help them in whatever way he can. Man, let me tell you God showed up and we had such an anointed conversation. Jesus was definitely in our midst. Personally, when he was talking, wisdom, discernment and prophetic insights were coming to me clear as day. So amazing. We talked for about a half hour and then I prayed for him. Have you ever had one of those moments where the clarity and direction of prayer was so evident? Well that's how the prayer time went. After I prayed, he prayed for me and everything he prayed for was exactly what the Holy Spirit was impressing on my heart in the past hour. Very cool.

Then it started raining and we said our good-byes and I packed up to go. But, before Joshua left he came over to me and literally poked me and said, "I just wanted to make sure you were real and not an angel because everything you said to me and prayed for me was exactly what I needed to hear from God." Now, I knew why the Holy Spirit told me right when I woke up this morning that I needed to be out on the street today. It was for Joshua. I gave him one of my personal 420 Prayer Movement cards hoping to further reinforce to him that I wasn't an angel, but a man just like him. I'm so glad that I got to meet Joshua today and I have a feeling (no, I know) that Jesus is going to great Kingdom things through Joshua because he has such a tender heart towards our Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are often surprised when they realize I want to pray for them right when I ask if they would like me to pray for them. I love it. It totally takes them out of their comfort zone and I think they realize it's something unusual. His ways are higher than our ways! I love reading about what you are doing. Keep going!

G Ching said...

thanks for the encouragement and for stepping out yourself! God bless you!