Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mobile Prayer Station: DAY 3

After yesterday's conversation with God in the importance of praying for the people I see walking by because many of them have never ever been prayed for before, I started the day with a renewed passion for intercessory prayer. But, I was deeply challenged today in this. Let me explain, I love to pray out loud. That's how I typically pray these days. I truly believe there is power in speaking prayers aloud. I mean God Himself spoke the universe into existence (Genesis 1). Also, when we speak our prayers aloud, we are literally engaging in spiritual warfare with the spiritual dark forces in the world. 

But, that's not why I was challenged today. I was challenged today in not wanting to look like a crazy person. Remember the story of Hannah in 1 Samuel 1? If not, here's a short recap, Hannah goes to the temple to pray that God would bless her with a son. Well, Eli the priest sees her and thinks that she's talking to herself and accuses her of being drunk. Now, imagine you see some "religious" person standing on the corner talking aloud with nobody around (without a bluetooth or headphones). I'm thinking fanatic or crazy may come to mind. So, here I am with this burning desire to pray for people, but having to do it without speaking. Don't get me wrong I do also pray quietly to myself at times, but when it comes to intercession, proclaiming it out loud is what I prefer. Anyways, I am learning. 

For most of the day, I felt like I was walking a tightrope. I felt caught between the tension of wanting to love and pray with people but not wanting to be too pushy about it. Today was a day where I felt in my spirit the push back from people for being out here. What I kept sensing from more than a few people (and I believe I will continue to sense this) is this: "Oh, here's yet another Christian who's trying to force his beliefs on me." I can literally see some of them tense up as they come near me, even before I say anything. It's like their waiting for me to yell at them or something. So, most of the time I've been just smiling and saying hi to people. I mean I do have the sign so they know why I'm there and I am planning on having the Mobile Prayer Station there for the summer, so I feel like I need to focus on building bridges with people. Again, it's gonna be a learning experience in understanding what it means to be the Lord's gospel light of love for this community. 

Now don't get me wrong, I actually really enjoy being out here. I feel like I am offering a vital service to the community. In fact, I got to pray for three people today, Dave, Christy and Jamie. All of whom were at different places in faith and life. Christy and Jamie had a faith, Dave did not. I enjoyed speaking and praying with all three of them. But, I must always be aware of the reality that we are all journeying through life and that people are gonna be at all sorts of different places. What I am realizing is that there are a lot of people who really have no concept of God, let alone prayer or they've been terribly hurt by the church or other Christians. But at the end of the day, I'm convinced that it's not so much about worrying about whether or not I'm offending people, but about having the patience, tenacity and desire to love and continue to love people regardless of how they may treat me. I mean aren't those Jesus' words: "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44 NIV). 

No comments: