Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lifehouse: hanging by a moment



This song will always have a special place in my heart. When God first began speaking to me through music, this song was in the top ten. Now, I've always loved music, I remember as a kid I used to love just listening to the radio. Then in high school I joined a punk rock band where I wrote songs about all the anger, angst and loneliness I felt in my heart. For most of my life those were the types of songs that I gravitated towards. It wasn't until God entered my life that He began to connect me to the deeper longings of my heart that lay hidden beneath the anger, angst and loneliness: longings for peace, hope and love. When this happened the music within my heart began to change.

When I say that God began speaking to me through music I mean there were times where I literally felt like the song on the radio was being played just for me, like God was talking directly to my heart in that moment. Has that ever happened to you? Music has played a huge part in how God drew me to Himself. Like I said I was loud and angry, but God used music to connect me to the deeply broken places in my heart; places which I'd ignored for so long, it was like they never existed. But the more I connected with my heart, the more I connected with God and the more I connected with God, the more I connected with my heart. These were some of the most frightening and exciting times of my life: the first days of my spiritual awakening.

Needless to say, I was overwhelmed at everything I was now experiencing. I was really kind of clueless at what was happening. All I knew was that I liked what was happening and I wanted more, but I didn't know what I wanted more of. Looking back I now know that God was literally transforming my heart. So when I first heard this song, the lyrics helped me put words to the deep rumblings in my heart that I was too afraid to embrace let alone speak. Little did I know that all this time God was wooing me, He was showing me just how much He loved and cared for me and how much He desired to be with me and that all the feelings welling up in me reflected the reality that I was actually falling in love with God. "Desperate for changing, starving for truth, I'm closer to where I started chasing after You. I'm falling even more in love with You, letting go of all I've held onto.."

No comments: