Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Goo Goo Dolls: Sympathy


There's something about this song that will always moves me. Maybe it's because the lyrics remind me of my own personal aspirations, the dreams that have the power to consume me if I'm not careful. I can get pretty driven at times where I can isolate myself from others for the sake of achievement. Going after my dreams at the exclusion of others is a lonely path to be on. "I'm killing myself from the inside out and all my fears have pushed you out."

This song makes me think through the priorities of my life and where I've lost sight of what's really important in life. "I wish for things that I don't need (all I wanted) and what I chase won't set me free (all I wanted)." Whenever I hear those lyrics I am reminded of the times where I've put material things over and above people. Where I've made idols of stuff or achievements at the expense of others. Fame and fortune are cruel taskmasters. "It's hard to lead the life you choose (all I wanted) when all your luck's run out on you..."

Receiving sympathy when you feel so undeserving of it can be a very strange feeling indeed. Our shame doesn't know what to do with it and our pride doesn't want to accept it. But, sympathy is a still a gift. Sympathy says, "I may not know what you're going through, but I feel for you." Sympathy motivates people towards love and understanding and has the power to form an invisible bond between persons. Sympathy makes room in a person's heart for another. "Stranger than your sympathy...and I'm not sure where I belong." Sympathy says you belong. 

No comments: