Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

thankful: sleeping in (rest)

Today, I am thankful for being able to sleep in. It is one of my favorite things to do. I enjoy just lazily waking up in the morning. I enjoy it when I can take a full hour  to just slowly wake for the day (reading, praying, listening to music, scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed, sleeping some more). I especially enjoy being able to actually go back to sleep after I wake up for a bit: this is the best. Life can be so incredibly full and busy. I mean, most everyday I have lots to do and if I'm not presently doing something, I am planning and preparing for something in the near future. So when I get the opportunity to sleep in, I take it, without feeling guilty. I receive it as a nice gift from God to enjoy.

There's lots of places in Scripture that talks about rest. But, the one I enjoy most comes from Jesus. He says, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light" (Matthew 11:29-30 NLT). I love it! Jesus offers us rest anytime we are in need because He knows how desperate we are for rest. But, He offers us more than just physical rest for our bodies, He also offers us emotional, psychological and spiritual rest for the burdens of our heart, mind and soul. So, the next time Jesus blesses you with some rest, instead of filling the time with more busyness, but receive it as a gift and rest. 

2 comments:

Glorioso Espiritu Santo said...

God's grace enables us to sleep in holy peace

Espiritu Santo said...

glory at the Lord