Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Thursday, August 2, 2012

thankful: The Book of Eli

In resurrecting my blog after a long hiatus, I've decided to begin posting each day on something I am thankful for. Today, I am thankful for the film, "The Book of Eli." It has been a while since I last watched this film, but in viewing it today, I was again impacted by the resolute determination of Eli to fulfill the mission God had given him. I think this is why I appreciate this film so much. I long to have this same kind of resolve as I also live to fulfill God's mission and purpose for my life. 

There are lots of good moments in the film. I especially like the part where Eli tells Solara that "All the years I've been carrying [the Bible] and reading it every day...I got so caught up with keeping it safe I forgot to live by what I learned from it." Such a good reminder that just knowing what the Bible says isn't good enough, we need to be living what the Bible says by applying it to our lives. 

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope" (NLT). God has a plan and purpose for each and every person. But, in order to truly fulfill this purpose we need to fully commit ourselves to the plan and mission God has for each of us. Have you ever wondered about the reason you were put on this earth? Maybe today is a good day to start asking God to show you the plans and purposes He has for you while you live out the rest of your days here on Earth. 

Today, I am thankful for "The Book of Eli" and I leave you with his prayer: "Dear lord thank you for giving me the strength and the conviction to complete the task you entrusted to me. Thank you for guiding me straight and true through the many obstacles in my path, and keeping me resolute when all around seemed lost, thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way, thank you for any good I may have done and I'm so sorry about the bad. Thank you for the friend I've made, please watch over her as you have watched over me. Thank you for finally allowing me to rest I am so very tired. But I go now to my rest, at peace knowing that my time on this earth, I fought the good fight, I finished the race, I kept the faith."  

No comments: