Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rita Springer: in this forever


I ran across this song this morning as I was scrolling through my Facebook News Feed (Rita Springer's artist Facebook page is one of the many pages that I like). It's from her latest live album with the same title. Hearing this song was a good reminder that following Jesus is forever. It's true. When I read through the Scriptures I am confronted with the heavy weight of eternity. The salvation of our souls did not come at an easy price. No, the redemption of all creation caused Jesus unimaginable suffering, not to mention His very life.

I heard this preached and it has forever changed the way that I view Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross. The preacher said, "Now, I can't say for certain that Jesus suffered more physical and emotional pain than any other person ever suffered when He was crucified on a cross, but what I do know is that Jesus was the only person who ever suffered the full weight of God's wrath for sin." That my friends is unimaginable suffering and is the heavy weight of eternity that Jesus bore so that we could be with Him in eternal paradise.

Jesus is in this forever and we are to have His same attitude. There was no turning back for Jesus. He knew this the very moment He decided to step down out of Heaven: "You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross" (Philippians 2:5-8 NLT).

Following Jesus isn't always going to be easy. But I believe, if our hearts remain tender towards God, then the longer we follow Jesus, the more we will feel the heavy weight of eternity that He has placed upon our shoulders.The burden to preach the Good News to a broken, hurting and dying world while caring for the sick, the poor, the imprisoned, the fatherless, the widow, the orphan, the lost and the hopelessly addicted. And this burden will far out weigh whatever trial may come our way as we make our way through this fallen world. But, this will mean truly deciding with all that you are (mind, heart and will) that no matter the cost, you are in this with Jesus forever.

So this is my prayer: "Lord Jesus, Your sacrifice on a Cross for sin earned you the praise and worship of all creation. Thank You Lord for bearing the full weight of God's wrath for sin and taking upon Yourself my punishment. Truly, I am healed, saved, redeemed and restored in You. Holy Spirit transform me and place within me the fortitude to stand for Jesus no matter the cost. I proclaim today in this moment that I am in this with You Jesus forever and ever. In Your Name Jesus, Amen."

No comments: