Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Monday, May 17, 2010

Leona Lewis: bleeding love


I imagine when most people hear this song they are reminded of someone they are deeply in love with and I get that, I do. This song describes a deeply passionate love that cannot be ignored nor restrained. It speaks of a wild love that doesn't make sense at times, a love that challenges a person at the very core of their being. That's what Jesus' love does to me. He makes me want to love deeper and more passionately. In many ways, He has "cut me open" in order to teach me to love like He does. Over the last 10 years, I have literally felt like my heart's been bleeding out where "I keep bleeding, keep, keep bleeding in love."

Before Jesus entered my life I thought I knew what it meant to love. But, as He has shown me His unconditional love, I've come realize that I have much to learn about loving others. When I first felt the love of God, it was like nothing I ever felt in my life: "But something happened for the very first time with You. My heart melted to the ground, found something true." There were so many people in my life who tried their best to pull me from my new found love. "And everyone's looking 'round, thinking I'm going crazy." But, I knew deep in my heart that what I was experiencing was real. "But I don't care what they say, I'm in love with You. They try to pull me away but they don't know the truth."

The craziest thing is that we can know and experience God. Everywhere I go, I am encountered by the love of God. I see the face of Jesus in so many people I meet and He "cuts me open" with unconditional love. "And in this world of loneliness I see Your face, yet everyone around me thinks that I'm going crazy." Sure, it's been a hard road at times to be continually stretched to love deeper and at times painful when I've felt the sting of rejection from others. It's been in these moments that I've tried to close off my heart from loving others which has in many ways shrunk and crippled my heart. "My heart's crippled by the vein that I keep on closing" because of the pain.

But, I'm so grateful that Jesus has never stopped cultivating in me a "Love that never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance" (1 Corinthians 13:7 NLT). That He continually cuts me open so that His love can bleed out of me and onto a broken, lost and hurting world. Is Jesus calling you to love with greater passion? Ask Him to cultivate in you a greater capacity to love like Him no matter what the cost. Trust me, it's worth it because we were created by God out of love, for love and to love.

No comments: