Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Soul Suffocation

When I read books like "Invisible Girls: The truth about sexual abuse," by Dr. Patti Feuereisen and read quotes like these, my heart pauses, it's like time hiccups and it feels like my soul can't breath.

"heart jumping
body shivering
fingers clutching
zippers unzipping
sanity escaping
good-bye little girl..." - a 16 year old sibling abuse survivor

"While my father was molesting me, I would look at the wallpaper with all the little fairies. I would pretend they were my friends, and that they were sprinkling fairy dust on me. I made up names for all the fairies, and I was the queen fairy, and I could protect every little girl in my world." - a 17 year old incest survivor.

"quick, call the cops
I've just been cocked blocked
Knocked out by a rock
My body was in shock
a flock of guys left me alone
coughing up a bloody song
how could I whimper without a fight
I was weak and the cuffs were too tight." - a 20 year old gang-rape survivor

"I wanted so many times to simply have faith, to give my soul over to the care of something else, someone else, because there were times when it felt too filthy for me to hold anymore. But then there was always some rule, like 'turn the other cheek' or 'forgive and forget.' Some concept of forgiveness that I couldn't even wrap my brain around. It seemed so incomprehensible. How do you 'forgive' someone for taking away your childhood, your wonder and your innocence and your 'first time' and your chance to discover yourself without dark pits and chasms opening up underneath you on the path? - a 22 year old incest survivor

It's question like these that makes me all the more grateful that because of Jesus' death, resurrection and ascension that true healing can happen; "by His wounds we are healed" (Is 53:5d).

No comments: