Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mobile Prayer Station: DAY 33

Although this is Day 33 of the Mobile Prayer Station, this day marks the first day that I have begun to offer dream interpretation to the community. I must say, even though I was only out for an hour during this time I noticed an exaggeration of a look I am all too familiar with, a look of perplexity. Now, mind you since starting this I believe I have seen just about every kind of look from people, but the look of perplexity is common. People are typically taken by surprise by the Mobile Prayer Station in general but now add dream interpretation and this has seemed to up the ante on people's wonderment. In the hour I was out (which was intentional I wanted to test the waters so to speak with this), I had no takers on prayer or dream interpretation, but I am hopeful and truly feel released by God to do this. 

Now, throughout the bible there are numerous examples of God communicating to people through dreams and in certain instances He has even sent a person to interpret these dreams. The most prominent dream interpreters in the bible are Joseph and Daniel. Dreams are an important avenue in which God speaks to people. Numbers 12:6 says, "And the Lord said to them, 'Now listen to what I say: 'If there were prophets among you, I, the Lord, would reveal myself in visions. I would speak to them in dreams'" (NLT). Also, Job 33:14-15 says "For God speaks again and again, though people do not recognize it. He speaks in dreams, in visions of the night, when deep sleep falls on people as they lie in their beds" (NLT). Also, in Acts 2:17 Peter quotes the prophet Joel, "'In the last days,' God says, 'I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions, and your old men will dream dreams" (NLT). It is clear that God speaks to us through our dreams. 


More so, Divine revelation comes to us through dreams. All through the bible there is example after example of God communicating to people through dreams: the dreams of Abimelech (Genesis 20:3), of Jacob (Genesis 28:12; 31:10), of Solomon (1 Kings 3:5-15), of Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 2:19), of Daniel (Daniel 7:1), of Joseph (Matthew 1:20; 3:13), and Paul (Acts 23:11) unless this last instance is interpreted as a vision given to Paul, rather than a dream. Again, the bible makes it clear that God speaks to us through dreams. But, not all dreams are from God. From what I've heard from other Christians that I've heard teach on dream interpretation (and from my own experience), the devil and other evil spirits can cause dreams (more nightmares), and there's something called soul dreams where our souls express and project things to us from both the past and present (this is where I believe the New Age Movement has built their camp). But, regardless of the origin of our dreams (God, the devil or our own soul), we must remember that God is the Creator of all things and in Him is all wisdom, knowledge and understanding; and if we seek Him to bring insight and interpretation to our dreams, He will give it. 


God is still speaking to people today through dreams and there is a great need for the people of God to rise up and seek the grace, wisdom and understanding of God in discerning the meaning of dreams. But, the sad reality is that the New Age Movement has in many ways hijacked dream interpretation claiming it as their own when it is and always has been something that has deep biblical roots and foundations. I believe that if we ask God for revelation in interpreting dreams, He will give it. Isn't that what the prophet Daniel did? There is a grace for dream interpretation and what I've come to understand is that some believers are uniquely gifted by God for dream interpretation. Being gifted in words of wisdom, words of knowledge, discerning of spirits, prophesy (1 Corinthians 12:8-10), even mercy, creativity and encouragement (Romans 12:6-8) are a great help when it comes to dream interpretation. If God has blessed you with some or all of these gifts then you should be asking God for the grace for dream interpretation and stepping out in faith. 

No comments: