Featured Post

What is good biblical leadership?

What is good biblical leadership? This is a question I've been asking myself lately. Oftentimes, I see Christian leaders referencing boo...

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

God's Top Four Priorities for His Children: Introduction

Have you ever wondered what God's priorities are for your life? I have and the journey to better understanding these priorities has not been an easy one. But, before I dive into this topic, let me say that I am still in process and am still growing in my understanding of God, Truth and Life and how these three realities intertwine together.  

Over the past 10 years I've had the privilege of connecting with people both inside and outside the walls of a church building and across 4 continents (North America, Africa, Asia and Australia). This has definitely had its challenges, but also some really precious and endearing rewards. Bottom line, people are beautiful. It doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, there is beauty in you. Believe it. 

So, as I begin to lay out what I believe are God's top priorities for people, I will submit to you that I am in no means saying that I have all the answers. But, only a helpful framework that has helped me and others in better discerning the movements of God in our lives. I was first taught this by a long time friend and pastor ministering in Taiwan (thanks Dave for your humility and wisdom).

Now, the way these priorities work themselves out in a person's life will be unique to each of us. Though we may at times have some commonalities between our stories, no two stories are ever alike, just as no two people are ever alike. 

My aim in posting this, is to hopefully better help you see the bigger picture, so to speak, so that you can then take this list as a sort of filter or magnifying glass that will bring some greater clarity as you zoom into the uniqueness of your own life story. So, here we go.  

I will first list what I believe to be God's top four priorities for His children (there is more you could add to this list, but grasping these top four is crucial) and then I will expand on them: 
1. Relationship (Salvation) 
2. Christlikeness (Transformation) 
3. Faith (Maturity) 
4.Blessing/Comfort (Prosperity) 
If we can grasp these four priorities in the right order, I believe we will truly experience the greatest happiness and fulfillment for our lives. To say it another way, when we understanding these four priorities in the right order, we will experience the abundant life Jesus promises His followers (John 10:10b)

Now, what I believe has brought great confusion to understanding God's higher priorities for people has been the "prosperity gospel" which in a nut shell emphasizes financial blessing and physical well-being as the main purpose and plan of God for a person. Wikipedia defines it as: 
"a religious belief among some Christians, who hold that financial blessing and physical well-being are always the will of God for them, and that faith, positive speech, and donations to religious causes will increase one's material wealth. Prosperity theology views the Bible as a contract between God and humans: if humans have faith in God, he will deliver security and prosperity."
What the "prosperity gospel" has done is placed what I have listed fourth on the list as number two. It tells people, God saves you and then blesses you. There is little or no mention of becoming like Jesus (transformation) and trials and hardships are interpreted as disobedience and lack of faith. There is real danger in this because it is a distortion of the gospel. 

Now, hear me on this I am not saying that God doesn't want to bless us, I absolutely believe He does, He has and He will! I believe God is a good and generous Father who not only provides for His children, but also blesses and rewards them. What I am saying is that God has a couple higher priorities for us that will at times supersede Him blessing us materially and financially. 

As I have walked alongside people who hold to this distorted understanding of the Gospel, what I have witnessed is that when a trial or hardship comes their way, they almost immediate start thinking that they have done something wrong and will start repenting of every sin that they can think of and/or will oftentimes blame and condemn themselves for not having enough faith. Sound familiar?

But, when we begin to grasp that God has a couple higher priorities for us as His children, then when trials or hardships happen, we have a better understanding of what God might be doing in our lives. Maybe we haven't actually done anything wrong, but God has decided in these trials and hardships to either help us to transform more into the likeness of Jesus or He could be wanting to increase our faith and maturity. But the only way that we can even entertain these options is only if they are actually in our grid of the will of God for His people.  

To be continued....

No comments: